Monday, January 17, 2011

ruth

i was named after her, my grandma. she died last night at 93. i was at the hospital all weekend. it was pretty tough. especially at the very end. i left about twenty minutes before she passed away. my mom called me when i was on the road home & when i finally got home, i sat on the floor with my back against the wall & just cried & cried. i don't cry often, but when i do, i really cry. i'm just glad i was in the house by myself.
my grandmother was such a character! she was full of spunk & was quite mischievous. she really had a sweet tooth too. whenever we had cookies or doughnuts in the house, she would always want "one more" : ) & she loved loved ice cream.
she was a rosie the riveter building planes during WWI. later, in 1950, she started working at the palace hotel in san francisco in the laundry room. she met my grandfather, who was a bellhop at the hotel. two years later they got married : ) i always thought that was cute.
now, i am helping my mom with funeral plans & post-death coordinations. there is so much to go over & do. it's pretty overwhelming & i am trying to help her where i can. & everything to do with the funeral - burial, tombstone, casket, flowers, reception, food, viewing, etc. - is so expensive! ugh. like we need that stress right now.
anyways, sorry this post is kind of longer than usual. i just thought i needed it & i needed to vent a little. thanks for listening : )
p.s. replies coming in next post.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Lina, this post was lovely, I never even knew those things about our grandma.
    I hardly saw her :(
    I remember seeing her as a kid though.
    She was a spunky old lady! I am so very sorry for you guys over there, I wish I could help!
    Stupid job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh Lina, I'm so so sorry! Losing a loved one is so devastating. :( Your grandma sounds like an absolutely wonderful lady, and over all of her 93 years she must have had so many incredible experiences, and so many delicious bowls of ice cream to boot. I really hope that you're holding up alright, and I'll be thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She seemed like a wonderful lady. (: It's not the end -- you will see her again! ^.^ My prayers go out to you and your family! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry! She sounds wonderful, and certainly will live on with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. im so sorry to hear. the photo is just lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, lina.
    i'm a firm believer in heaven, and i do believe that you will see each other again. my thoughts and prayers are with you, of course. and also, she sounds like a total badass. and their love story? classic.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Lina, I'm so sorry to hear that! Sounds like she was a really cool grandma! My thoughts go to you and your family during these hard times!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Again, May Her Memory Be Eternal.

    That's something we say at funerals and memorial services in Orthodoxy. It means that as long as people remember her, and carry her with them in her thoughts she's never truly gone. Or at least that's how I see it.

    I'm with Shelby, there is most definitely a heaven and someday you and your grandmother will be there together.

    I always find grandmother stories so heartwarming. I was very close to my Yia-yia (my mom's mother), and I know how very much they can mean to someone. Your grandmother lived an amazing life, full of love, hard work, and ice-cream. I can't think of anything better.

    You and your grandmother are in my thoughts and prayers. May this be an easy process for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lina, it seems your grandmother lived a long and very happy life. I know it was hard when my grandmother passed away; I can sympathize.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart and prayers go to you Lina.

    A human life is a story told by God. -Hans Christian Andersen

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear that. :( But the stories and her fully lived life makes me smile. I love that you were named after her. But I'm so sorry to hear it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. She sounds like an amazing person. She lived a long life. I wish the best for you and your family. Your polaroid picture is quite amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gave you an award: http://hellomissa.blogspot.com/2011/01/please-wear-underwear-thank-you.html#comments

    ps; you are still in my prayers!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm so sorry to read of your loss, lina. do take care.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Lina,
    Thoughs, Love and Strength to you and your family at this sad time.
    My prayers are for you.

    ReplyDelete