makes 4 to 6 burgers
2 cups chopped onions
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cups chopped crimini or white button mushrooms
2 cups chopped carrots
1 can tomato sauce
1/8 cup soy sauce
4 cups textured vegetable protein (available at health food stores)
3 cups water
1/4 cup tahini
1/8 cup mustard
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons basil
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons oregano
1 tablespoons coriander
1. saute onions & garlic for 3 minutes.
2. add mushrooms & carrots, saute for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. add tomato paste & soy sauce, & mix.
4. stir in the textured vegetable protein.
5. add the water, tahini, & mustard, & simmer until the liquid is evaporated.
6. transfer the contents to large bowl & let it sit until it's cool enough to touch.
7. stir in the flour & spices.
8. place the bowl in the fridge for 30 minutes.
9. shape the mixture into patties & cook them on a grill or in a saute pan.
10. once the patties are cooked, top them with seasonal sprouts & tomatoes.
-j. m. williams: thanks for the suggestion! yeah i'm a sociology major & i'm into documentaries & all that stuff. i've actually heard of it before, but haven't seen it yet. my family says hi back:D
allison: well, my favorite movies are the princess bride & the new pride & prejudice (slumdog millionaire might be joining that list!). but i like quirky movies like juno or the science of sleep a lot right now. or sci-fi...or action...really anything but crude humor movies & scary movies. does that help at all?? haha.